The Old Referendum Text
The proposed Student Union/Bookstore renovation and expansion will:
Programmatically, students will receive effective Fall 1998 semester:
- provide students with a state of the art facility offering the campus
community programs and academic support;
- be designed with student input and provide students with:
- larger bookstore with more space for general books, computer sales
and supplies and check out;
- post office; banks and other retail services;
- redesigned food facilities including a food court with national and
branded food options;
- specific multi-purpose space for student organizations;
- functional layout utilizing atriums, natural lighting, indoor-outdoor
eating and programming space, increased meeting areas, lounge and study
- more space for student radio and student publications
- accessibility for all students;
- computer network access in alounge, study and food service areas.
This project will:
- improved and expanded student activities including concerts, speakers,
comedians and other entertainment;
- increased multi-cultural programs and activities;
- increased support for student involvement through leadership
and service learning opportunities.
- be partially funded by a mandatory fee, not to exceed $40 per semester
assessed to University of Arizona students.
The fee will commence in the Fall semester 1998.
- the student fee will not exceed 50% of total project costs
- this fee will end at the completion of bond payments, not to exceed 25
- oversight of fee will be monitored by a student advisory group
- the project will not include academic bonding to fund any project