By Staff Reports
Arizona Daily Wildcat October 30, 1997
Nike at a glance
- NIKE, Inc., based in Beaverton, Oregon, is a leading designer and marketer
of authentic athletic footwear, apparel and accessories for a wide variety
of sports and fitness activities. Total revenues for the trailing twelve
months ending August 31, 1997, were $9.67 billion.
- The SWOOSH logo is a graphic design created by Caroline Davidson in
1971. It represents the wing of the Greek goddess NIKE. A mystical presence,
the goddess symbolized victorious encounters and NIKE presided over history's
- Nike manufactures 120 different varieties of footwear that do not include
animal products, ranging from four different men's basketball shoes to
18 different women's technical running shoes
- 1985: Chicago Bulls basketball rookie Michael Jordan endorses NIKE
line of AIR JORDAN court shoes and specialized apparel.
- In spring of 1972, the first shoe with the NIKE SWOOSH was introduced.
A NIKE T-shirt to promote the shoe becomes the first apparel item.
- 1997: Revenues reach the $9.67 billion mark. Nike reaches deal with
the University of Arizona for at least three years.