Local News
World News
Campus News
Police Beat


news Sports Opinions arts variety interact Wildcat On-Line QuickNav


By Liz Dailey
Arizona Daily Wildcat
February 25, 1999
Send comments to:

A university police officer was involved in a high-speed chase Tuesday night after he spotted what he believed to be an impaired driver, police reports stated.

The officer was driving east on East Speedway Boulevard at 10:46 p.m. when he noticed a white Suzuki Samurai weaving through the left lane on Speedway, reports stated.

The Suzuki then accelerated to 50 mph in a 35 mph zone and cut off another car. The driver was "10 to 15 inches" away from the other car's bumper, reports stated.

Police noticed that the Suzuki continued to swerve while driving in the lane. Because of the suspicious nature, the officer put his lights and sirens on, believing the driver was intoxicated, reports stated.

The Suzuki sped up to 80 mph when he reached the intersection of Speedway and North Tucson Boulevard, reports stated.

Police chased the car through "light" traffic. The Suzuki went through a red light at Speedway and North Country Club Road and then swerved while turning left on North Dodge Boulevard, reports stated.

The pursuing officer saw the Suzuki begin to spin and narrowly miss a telephone pole, reports stated.

The Suzuki driver stopped the car and the passenger got out and ran. The officer was unable to follow the Suzuki, but he got out of his car and chased the passenger, a Tucson man, on foot, reports stated.

The man ran south on Dodge and then east on East Second Street and did not stop when ordered. A Tucson police officer drove up and cut off the man.

The Tucson man stopped and put his hands up in the air. Because the man refused to get on the ground, the university police officer pushed him, swiped his leg and handcuffed him, reports stated.

The man told police he had just left a bar at 10 p.m. and decided to get a ride with a man he met that night, reports stated.

The Tucson man said he repeatedly told the driver of the Suzuki to pull over during the chase. He added that he ran from the university police officer because he was "afraid," reports stated.

The Tucson man told police he believed the Suzuki driver was "gang affiliated," reports stated.

Police released the man.

A female student called police early Tuesday morning after receiving a series of "creepy" phone calls, police reports stated.

The student told police a man called her five to 10 times in the last two months, and he always called late at night, awakening her, reports stated.

She told officers the man called Tuesday at 3:10 a.m. and allegedly said, "Did I wake you up, baby?" reports stated.

The student told the man he had the wrong number. He then asked the student to identify herself. She reportedly said, "This is the girl you talk to each time you call here late at night."

The man hung up on the student but called back again - getting the answering machine. The man did not leave a message, reports stated.

The female student told police the man had a deep voice, sounded "Hispanic and ghetto," reports stated.

She said the man sounded "sincere" and never said anything threatening.

A UA security guard was involved in a car accident Tuesday evening after another car rear-ended him, police reports stated.

The employee told officers he was driving a marked university-owned truck on North Park Avenue at 6:54 p.m. when another car pulled in front of him.

The security guard said he had to stop suddenly and was struck from behind by a silver Honda Accord, reports stated.

Medics from Tucson Fire Department found neither drivers involved to be injured. The guard's truck had minimal damage, but the front of the Accord was damaged.

Tucson Police Department handled the case, reports stated.

An employee called police Tuesday morning after a piece of jewelry was taken from her locked office, police reports stated.

The staff member told police she left a $50 hummingbird-shaped broach on her desk Monday night.

When the employee returned to work Tuesday at 9 a.m., the broach was gone, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports.