Local News
Campus News
Police Beat


news Sports Opinions arts variety interact Wildcat On-Line QuickNav


By Liz Dailey
Arizona Daily Wildcat
October 13, 1998
Send comments to:

University police took a student to the hospital Friday afternoon, one day after he tried to choke himself with a necklace and threatened a resident assistant, police reports stated.

An RA called police to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall, 1000 N. Park Ave., Thursday at 2:30 p.m.

The RA told police he saw the student smoking in an unauthorized area, and when he asked him to move, the student became angry.

The student appeared to be drunk, and he grabbed a silver necklace around his neck and tried to choke himself. The RA stopped him and removed the necklace.

According to reports, the student got up and started to walk toward his room. The RA followed him and the student said, "If you keep following, I'm going to hurt you."

When officers arrived they were unable to find the student, police reports stated.

Another RA called police the next day and told them the student was in his room. An officer arrived and awoke the student, reports stated.

Police asked him how he was feeling and he said, "OK." The student told police he couldn't remember what time he got home, but then said, "maybe 8."

According to reports, the student told the officer he "kinda snapped." He said he was thinking about hurting himself, that his classes were "bugging him" and that he had just received a letter from his mother.

Two people received verbal warnings after shoving each other Saturday night during the UA football game.

An officer was on duty at 8:40 p.m. when he saw a crowd gather around two people in the stands of the Arizona Stadium, 540 N. Vine Ave., police reports stated.

The officer separated a man and woman and asked them what had happened. The man told police that every time he walked from his seat to the aisle, the woman would push him.

The woman told the officer the man was drunk, and every time he passed her, he bumped into her. Before the confrontation occurred, she said the man had knocked her into the person behind her, reports stated.

She told police she pushed him and he fell onto a young man behind him. The young man pinched his arm when he fell.

Tucson Fire Department medics checked the man's arm and decided no medical treatment was necessary, reports stated.

A Tucson man told police his daughter was missing Saturday night after the UA football game ended, but police later found her in the hospital.

Officers were driving on North Cherry Avenue at 12:45 a.m. when a man flagged them down, police reports stated.

The man told police his daughter had been missing since the end of the game. The missing woman's boyfriend told police she had left her seat at 9 p.m. to go to the rest room and never returned.

When police checked on her name, dispatchers told them the woman had been taken to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., by another officer because she had been highly intoxicated, reports stated.

It was later discovered the woman's blood alcohol level was double the legal limit, reports stated.

A UA student was referred to the Dean of Students' diversion program Sunday after police found three pipes and other drug-related items in her room.

A resident assistant called police at 1:02 a.m. after doing rounds at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., police reports stated.

The RA told police he smelled what he believed to be burning marijuana. When police arrived, the smell, coming from a sixth-floor room, was still very strong.

The officer knocked on the door but no one answered. Police then used a key to get into the room.

According to reports, there was no one in the room, the window was open and it smelled of air freshener. Police also saw a homemade filter on one of the beds.

Officers heard a neighbor down the hall taking on the phone to one of the residents of the suspect room. Police then told the resident to come back to her room, reports stated.

The woman arrived and told police she hadn't been in her room for a while, and that she hadn't been smoking in her room, reports stated.

Police checked the woman's tongue and smelled her fingers and found no evidence that she had been smoking marijuana. The resident told police they could search her room.

Inside the student's desk, police found an empty nitrous oxide capsule and a "cracker" - a device commonly used to open nitrous oxide canisters. There was a green balloon on top of her desk, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports.