[Wildcat Online: News] [ad info]






By Dylan McKinley
Arizona Daily Wildcat,
November 23, 1999
Talk about this story

University police arrested a man Friday after he was observed shooting a carbon dioxide-powered pellet gun from the room of his fraternity house, police reports stated.

David Scheinberg, 20, of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, 1420 N. Vine St., was on the roof of the house at about 4:40 p.m. when police arrived.

As an officer approached the house, he saw Scheinberg on the roof shooting the firearm away from the officer, reports stated.

The officer drew his firearm and identified himself to Scheinberg as a UAPD officer.

According to reports, he ordered Scheinberg to drop the gun, and he did.

The officer covered Scheinberg with his firearm while another officer went through the house to the roof.

The officer handcuffed Scheinberg on the roof and took him outside the building.

Scheinberg told police he was sorry and was just "messing around," reports stated.

He was cited on suspicion of disorderly conduct and recklessly discharging a dangerous instrument and released.

His Crosman pellet gun was taken for evidence.

Police arrested a UA student for liquor violations after an officer observed her walking by a fraternity house on Nov. 13., reports stated.

Kelly Sikes, 18, of the 900 block of East Fourth Street, was walking by Kappa Sigma fraternity, 1423 E. First St., at about 12:30 a.m. when an officer on duty at Kappa Sigma noticed she was having difficulty with balance and was possibly crying, reports stated.

The officer approached Sikes and noticed the strong smell of alcohol on her breath and saw she was crying, reports stated.

He asked her for identification, and she told him her name was Kelly Marie Samm and her date of birth was Aug. 18, 1978, reports stated.

While the officer checked the information, Sikes fled, reports stated.

After the officer caught her and detained her, he obtained her true identification.

Sikes was cited on suspicion of giving false information to law enforcement and minor in possession of liquor.

Sikes was transported to her home and released.

A UA student called UAPD Friday after someone stole his motorcycle helmet and gloves, reports stated.

The student parked his motorcycle at about 1:45 p.m. at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., and left his helmet and gloves on the motorcycle, reports stated.

He went into the building to speak with a friend for five to 10 minutes, and when he returned to his motorcycle at about 2:15 p.m., his helmet and gloves were missing.

The helmet is valued at an estimated $489 and the gloves are valued at an estimated $100.

The student said he didn't see anyone in the area that might have taken the gloves and helmet, reports stated.

Police arrested a woman Friday after pulling her over for expired car registration, reports stated.

Patsy Jones, 42, of the 1000 block of North First Avenue, was driving eastbound at about 7:40 p.m. on East University Boulevard when an officer noticed her registration was expired.

When the officer checked her identification, he found she was driving with a suspended license.

A check of her registration revealed it had been expired since 1996, reports stated.

Her license plate had 1998 registration tags, and police confiscated the plate for evidence, reports stated.

Jones was cited on suspicion of driving with a suspended license and displaying fictitious license plates. She was released at the scene.

A UA student contacted UAPD after more than $9,000 in items were stolen from his residence hall room, reports stated.

The student, a resident of La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., said he left his room at about 3:45 p.m. Saturday and left his keys with a friend, reports stated.

The friend told police he stayed in the room for another 15 minutes, then left, reports stated.

The friend returned to the room at about 8 p.m., and noticed the missing items.

The friend said he called the student who lives in the room to tell him about the burglary, reports stated.

The student's roommate was unavailable at the time, so the officer left a business card in case the roommate needed to report stolen items, reports stated.

[end content]
[ad info]