Two-alarm grease fire causes no injuries, keeps public out four hours
When many students and employees heard the fire alarm in the Memorial Student Union yesterday morning, they figured it was just another false alarm.
Then they saw the smoke.
"When you went down the stairs, you saw all the smoke coming from the vents," said Carla McClimon, a business management senior.
When the deep friers at bottom-floor restaurant Louie's Lower Level caught on fire - sending smoke throughout the building - the fire alarms went off.
No one was injured in the two-alarm fire that sent 15 trucks and 40 firefighters to the union and kept several hundred students waiting on the University of Arizona Mall.