Arizona Daily Wildcat
Friday, March 25, 2005
"It is no longer possible to absorb this loss by the use of central reserves or the use of funds only temporarily available. We need a new strategy to restore the capacity of this university to make the investments required to achieve the goals of focused excellence."
- Peter Likins, UA president, on the half-percent budget cut for the next fiscal year. The changes will bring in $6 million to the central administration
"I get into my shiny Corvette, drive up and down the George Washington Parkway and try to outrace the Park Police."
- Colin Powell, former secretary of state, after a Washington dinner party on what he's been up to these days
"He is a big hunk of stud meat - even if he is Satan."
- Stephanie Miller, liberal talk-show host, on hugging Fox News host Sean Hannity
The potatoes were solid. I didn't have enough last night. That's why I didn't dunk on anybody. ... The potatoes here are massively good."|
- Channing Frye, UA men's basketball senior center, during the team's stay in Boise, Idaho, on the city's fantastic potatoes
"What Bush is proposing is ending Social Security."
- Michael Schaller, UA history professor, on his skepticism about Bush's plan to prioritize Social Security
"Don't buy and don't read that novel."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, breaking the Vatican's two-year silence on the "The Da Vinci Code." The book describes a fictional Vatican effort to suppress an alleged biblical secret
"Without their parents there, this became like Pinocchio's Pleasure Island."
- Kiki Fournier, former housekeeper for Michael Jackson, testifying on the state of the boys staying at Neverland Ranch
"I have to tell the maid to buy diapers and get the pool boy to walk the dog? Can't I just make out with Kevin all the time? Being married sucks."
- Britney Spears, in Allure magazine, on the responsibilities of family and stepchildren