Kitt Peak telescope dedication planned

By Cara Miller

Arizona Daily Wildcat

After more than two years of construction, the $13.4 million WIYN telescope will be dedicated on Kitt Peak this weekend.

The innovations that have gone into the WIYN telescope, the second largest on Kitt Peak, will make it one of the most powerful telescopes in its class.

It is also expected to be one of the best imaging telescopes in the world.

The $30 million project is a collaboration among Tucson-based National Optical Astronomy Observatories, the University of Wisconsin, Indiana University and Yale University.

The universities provided the initial $13.4 million construction costs in exchange for 60 percent of the observing time on the telescope. NOAO will be allocated the other 40 percent.

The University of Arizona is on the board that runs NOAO.

The 3.5-meter WIYN telescope is equipped with a multiple-object spectrograph employing optical fibers that allow the simultaneous observation of the spectra of 100 objects.

NOAO has provided the primary mirror and will provide most of the operations support for the telescope.

Pat Patterson, NOAO administrative assistant, said astronomers who submit proposals will most likely be able to use the telescope.

Members of the WIYN consortium and U.S. Rep. Jim Kolbe will attend Saturday's ceremony.

Read Next Article