Soccer team loses in double overtime

By Steve Fanucchi

Arizona Daily Wildcat

After holding the opposition scoreless for 87 minutes yesterday, the tide finally turned against the Wildcats.

The Arizona women's soccer team dropped its third straight game, a double-overtime 1-0 loss to the Pepperdine Waves.

After the Wildcats and Waves played to a 0-0 tie in regulation, Pepperdine's Tabitha Garibay scored with 3:03 left in the second overtime, driving a shot past UA goalkeeper Jen Weibel. It was Garibay's only shot of the game.

"I felt that the conditions today were really flukey long shots and crosses were floating and one got by me," Weibel said.

Arizona (5-8 overall, 1-4 in the Pacific 10 Conference) pressured throughout regulation and in overtime but could not score.

"We threatened them all day," UA head coach Lisa Fraser said. "If we just shot low we might have had some breaks, but we did not."

Arizona had 19 shots on goal compared to the Waves' 20. Weibel accumulated 13 saves to limit the Waves to the one goal.

Arizona was shut out for the first time this year. Senior forward Christine Keeley did not have a goal or assist for the first time in four games.

The Wildcats were coming off losses last weekend to San Diego State and Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo.

"We had a lot of chances and we never quit," Fraser said. "Everything we worked on this week we did, we just did not put the ball into the net. It is really disappointing because we played well, but it is just another building block for us."

If the Wildcats would have evened the score in the second overtime, the game would have been decided by penalty shots.

"We had so many close chances, but I guess luck was on their side," senior midfielder Jennifer Rickard said. "We were so evenly matched that I do not know if you could walk away and say they won."

The meeting was the first ever between the two schools.

The Wildcats will face Cal State-Sacramento on Sunday and Montana State next Monday.

Read Next Article