Police Beat

By Kimberly Miller

Arizona Daily Wildcat

Two fights involving UA fraternities occurred over the weekend.

In the first incident, police arrested David Menuck, 20, after they responded to a call reporting a fight involving 40-50 people in the 1500 block of East First Street early Friday morning.

When police arrived, they saw a group of about 15 men walking to the rear of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, 1509 N. Cherry Ave., and another group gathered near the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, 1050 N. Cherry Ave.

While one officer talked to members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon another was flagged down by Menuck, a member and resident of Alpha Tau Omega. Menuck told police he had broken his foot when he tripped over a parking block and needed an ambulance.

Police smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from him and when they arrested Menuck for minor in possession of alcohol he changed his story about hurting his foot. He told police he had tried to break up a fight between members of the two fraternities and was hit.

Menuck told police he did not know who was involved in the fight. He was transported to University Medical Center, treated for a dislocated foot and released.

The reason for the fight was unknown.

In the second incident police were called to the parking lot on the southwest side of North Martin Avenue and East First Street Saturday morning to investigate a report of a fight involving several people.

When police arrived they found a 20-year-old student acting dazed and confused with facial lacerations. Witnesses at the scene said that a group of 20 men from Phi Gamma Delta, 1801 E. First St., were involved in the fight. Another witness told police he saw the 20 members in the area but did not actually see them fighting.

The victim said he would prosecute. He was transported to University Medical Center, treated and released.

Police arrested a 26-year-old student for criminal trespassing when they received a call of an unwanted person at Bear Down Gym Saturday.

Antonio Anaya, of the 500 block of South Rubio Road, was recognized by a supervisor of Bear Down Gym as someone who was barred from the gym and the Student Recreation Center for causing trouble.

When the supervisor asked Anaya to leave he refused and she called the police. When police arrived they questioned Anaya and he became agitated. He claimed he was being discriminated against because he is a minority and told police he would return to the gym because it was illegal to bar him from it.

Anaya was arrested and released after processing at UAPD.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department records.

Read Next Article