Police Beat

By Kimberly Miller

Arizona Daily Wildcat

Two Tucson High School students were arrested for stealing bicycles Monday afternoon after they were seen carrying bicycles away from Maricopa Residence Hall.

The two boys, 17 and 16, were charged with theft under $1,200, false reporting to a police officer, obstructing a public thoroughfare and hindering prosecution.

Police became aware of the suspects' presence on campus when a caller reported two males "shopping" for bicycles near the Chemistry building.

Soon after, another call reported the suspects were stealing bicycles near Maricopa Residence Hall. Police were flagged down by an unidentified male who told them which way the suspects were headed. Police then saw the two suspects walking north on North Tyndall Avenue carrying bicycles that were U-locked through their front tires and frames.

The suspects dropped the bicycles and began running when they saw police. After refusing to stop, police called for backup. The suspects were apprehended after a foot chase. They told police they stole the bicycles because they wanted new ones.

Both juveniles were released to the custody of parents. The bicycles were claimed by their owners later in the day.

Gang graffiti was written on the north side of the Martin Luther King building, 1322 E. First St., sometime between Friday and Monday.

A student called police to report the graffiti that was written in black spray paint which said, "4th Ave. Crips." Police reported there were other unreadable writings on the wall.

Police have no suspects.

A 21-year-old student reported receiving a harassing phone call Friday morning from someone posing as an employee of the Student Health Center.

The victim said she got a call Friday morning from a man claiming to be doing a questionnaire on health hygiene for the Student Health Center. The student agreed to answer his questions but hung up after they became increasingly sexual and personal.

She said the caller seemed to be well rehearsed and sounded like he was in his sixties.

The case was referred to the Tucson Police Department.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports.

Read Next Article