Local News
World News
Campus News
Police Beat


news Sports Opinions arts variety interact Wildcat On-Line QuickNav

Police Beat

By Liz Dailey
Arizona Daily Wildcat
March 10, 1999
Send comments to:

A Tucson Medical Center nursing employee called University of Arizona Police early Monday morning to report an injured student, police reports stated.

The nurse told police a student from Graham-Greenlee dorm was admitted into the TMC emergency room at 4:43 a.m.

The female student told the nurse she was visiting her boyfriend at 2 a.m. in his Babcock Residence Hall room.

She told the nurse she attempted to leave the dorm, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., when he allegedly "grabbed her" and "pushed her" down a staircase, reports stated.

The female student sustained injuries to her upper torso because of the alleged fall, reports stated.

The female student refused to speak with police and said she was concerned because she is underage and was drinking that morning, reports stated.

A student and her friend spoke with police Sunday morning after they allegedly were assaulted on the west side of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, 1509 E. Second St., late Saturday night, police reports stated.

The two women went to UAPD and told police they were leaving the fraternity at 11:50 p.m. when a man grabbed a lei that was hanging around the student's neck, reports stated.

The student told police the man was "choking" her and she told him to stop because he was hurting her, reports stated.

The student said the man then shoved her, causing her to push a friend to the ground, reports stated.

The student's friend sustained several abrasions to the right side of her face and mouth. Four of her upper front teeth were broken as well, reports stated.

The student's friend made appointments to see a doctor and dentist and told police she did not report it sooner because she felt her "injuries were not as serious as they were," reports stated.

Both women admitted to drinking that night and neither are 21-years-old, reports stated.

A university employee called police Monday morning after a former employee kept harassing her, police reports stated.

The Main Library employee told police another worker was fired Feb. 23. She told police she was going inside the library Feb. 28, when she saw the former employee.

The man said he was not doing well because he was "such a fuck up," reports stated.

The employee told police the man followed her for "five minutes and mumbled to himself." She reportedly told the man to leave or she would escort him out of the library, 1515 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

The man agreed to leave and reportedly called her later that day to apologize for his behavior, reports stated.

The employee told police the man tried to contact her again Thursday to give her a card. The employee was busy, so he gave the card to her supervisor, reports stated.

The employee told officers the man apologized again in the card. She told police she left the library 15 minutes later and found him in a parking lot, reports stated.

He allegedly told the employee he wanted to make sure she got the card.

The employee told officers she would tell the man to leave her alone next time she saw him, reports stated.

A 15-year-old girl called police early Monday morning to report her "sister" missing, police reports stated.

The girl told police she and her friend went to the Main Library, 1515 E. University Blvd., at 8 p.m. to do research for school.

She told police she last saw her "sister" at 1:30 a.m. on the library's second floor, reports stated.

The girl told the officer she and her family had just moved. She said she did not know her own phone number or address, but lived "in a pink house on Mountain," reports stated.

She told police her parents were on vacation for a month. She said there was no way to contact them, reports stated.

The girl told the officer she would take him to her house. But after they arrived at the residence, the girl said her "sister" was not there. The officer went to the door and spoke with a woman living in the home.

The woman said the house was a group home for girls and neither of the youths lived there. She told police the girl and a child matching the description of her "sister" stopped by the home at 8 p.m.

She told police the girls asked her for the time. She reportedly told them and thought it "odd two young girls were out late at night," reports stated.

The officer took the girl back to UAPD and found out she ran away earlier that night from a different girls' group home.

The girl with her was reportedly not her biological sister, but also a resident of the group home. The other girl had returned to the home at 4:50 a.m., reports stated.

The officer took the girl back to the home.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports.