Local News
Campus News
Police Beat


news Sports Opinions arts variety interact Wildcat On-Line QuickNav


By Liz Dailey
Arizona Daily Wildcat
September 29, 1998
Send comments to:

A female student called university police Friday afternoon after receiving obscene early-morning phone calls.

The student told police the caller, whom she described as sounding like a man in his mid-20s, phoned her at 3:44 a.m. and made several explicit sexual references to butter, police reports stated.

The student told police she hung up, but he called right back. Although she didn't answer the phone the second time, the answering machine did, and the caller left another sexually explicit message on her machine, reports stated.

The student told police she saved the message and officers asked her to call them if she received another call.

University police arrested a resident of La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave, after they woke him up in a dorm bathroom early Saturday morning.

Another resident found Ross Guehring, 18, passed out in the bathroom at 1:36 a.m., police reports stated.

University police and the Tucson Fire Department were notified, and while medics were checking out Guehring, police overheard him say he had too much to drink that night, police reports stated.

Guehring reportedly had crusty vomit on his shirt and his speech was slurred.

Police asked him where he lived, and Guehring replied, "Thanksgiving," police reports stated.

Guehring was cited on suspicion of underage drinking and released.

A party near campus came to a grinding halt late Saturday night after a resident of the house called university police to report a "fight brewing."

University police went to the residence, in the 400 block of North Martin Avenue, at 11:35 p.m. and separated two men before they could hurt each other, reports stated.

According to police reports, one of the guests at the party had become enraged because his girlfriend told him the man who lives at the house pushed her. The melee began after the boyfriend confronted the alleged aggressor, reports stated.

The man who supposedly shoved the woman said he had asked her and her boyfriend to leave the party. However, the couple told police he and his girlfriend never had been asked to leave, reports stated.

The woman told police she had not been injured, and according to police reports, the man denied pushing her.

Police reports indicated there were no witnesses, though officers asked that anyone with information contact university police.

An employee of the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., called police Sunday evening after a student allegedly harassed him about a $2 balance on his CatCard account, police reports stated.

The employee told police the student came into the Rec Center wanting to use the facilities, but was denied entrance because his CatCard held the $2 negative balance.

According to police reports, the employee told the student he could enter as soon as he paid the fee. Then, the student became angry and said he didn't want to pay.

The employee then explained to the student that he had no choice and that there was nothing he could do about it, reports stated.

The student then said to the employee, "You're going to get hurt," and walked out.

The employee told police he didn't want to file charges, but did want to make a report.

University police were called to the Science-Engineering Library, 744 N. Highland Ave., Sunday night after an employee reported hearing loud banging noises from behind a door, police reports stated.

The employee told police the sounds were coming from a tunnel access door in room 102A. The door lead to an underground tunnel system.

Police searched the area but couldn't find anyone, reports stated.

A Tucson man reported a small fire to university police Sunday afternoon.

Police arrived to the Park Garage, 1140 N. Park Ave., and found a flare burning in the bushes on the east side of the garage, police reports stated.

The flare had burned a few leaves on the ground, and police quickly extinguished the fire.

No one was injured and there were no witnesses, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports.