Local News
World News
Campus News
Police Beat


news Sports Opinions arts variety interact Wildcat On-Line QuickNav

Police Beat

By Liz Dailey
Arizona Daily Wildcat
February 11, 1999
Send comments to:

A student called university police Monday night to report a "fight" after a basketball referee was struck on the face, police reports stated.

The officer went to Bear Down Gym, 1428 E. University Blvd., at 9:07 p.m. and found a student-referee with a "very swollen nose" and blood covering his shirt, reports stated.

The referee told police he was officiating a basketball game when a student-player began arguing about the referee's tactics, reports stated.

According to the referee, the player "complained during the entire game," reports stated.

The student-referee told police he ordered the player to "shut the fuck up," but then apologized to him after the game, reports stated.

Later, the student-player approached the referee and said "don't tell a real man to shut up because he'll knock your ass out," reports stated.

The referee told police the player then struck him in the face. Officers searched the area for the student-player but were unable to locate him, reports stated.

Tucson Fire Department medics decided the referee needed treatment at University Medical Center, reports stated.

A UMC employee told the referee he would have to wait six hours before a doctor could see him.

Police left the hospital and went to the student-player's residence at Manzanita-Mohave Hall, 1000 N. Park Ave., but discovered the player no longer lived there.

Two other people witnessed the alleged assault and police will continue to investigate the case, reports stated.

A UA employee called police Tuesday night after a bag was stolen containing $26,000 worth of airline tickets for her students, police reports stated.

The employee told the officer she placed her orange cloth bag next to her car, parked just north of the Harvill building, 1103 E. Second St., at 5:15 p.m.

At 10:49 p.m., the woman told police she noticed the bag was missing, reports stated. The employee also had several office keys inside her bag.

Police searched dumpsters and the parking lot near Harvill, along with rooms inside the building, but found nothing, reports stated.

The employee told police she would call the airline company and cancel the tickets.

A student's father called police Monday morning to report his daughter was being "stalked," police reports stated.

The student's dad told police that a man had first contacted his daughter in October, 1997, reports stated.

After the man contacted the student, UA administrators ordered him to stay away from her and not to return to campus. The student's father told police the man violated the order and was arrested on suspicion of trespassing, reports stated.

The man e-mailed the student Jan. 30 at 1:13 p.m. from Northern Arizona University. The student saved the document for evidence and allegedly told her father the tone of the e-mail was "harassing," reports stated.

Police advised the student to tell the man not to contact her. The officer's report stated he would try to have the man's e-mail privileges removed at NAU.

A student called police Sunday night after a man reportedly called and made "sexual comments" to her.

The officer went to Kaibab Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., at 11:20 p.m. and spoke with the student who called police.

A man allegedly asked the student what she was wearing and what "position she liked," reports stated.

Another student at the dorm told police she had a call from a man that evening as well. The man reportedly said he was "the guy who is fucking with you," reports stated.

A third student in Kaibab told police a man called her and said "hello" in a "weird voice," reports stated.

A fourth student told the officer a man called her and said "who is this," before hanging up on her, reports stated.

Police had no suspects.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Reports.