Arizona Daily Wildcat
Friday, October 1, 2004
Quotes from this week's news
"(I was) wondering where were the minds of the upper level administration with all their so-called 'focus on excellence,' to eliminate a long-standing program pre-eminent for its excellence in innovative student-oriented teaching."
- Bella Vivante, associate professor in the humanities program, on the proposal to eliminate the humanities program.
"Not dissimilar to the way Mattel made Christie and Curtis as corollaries to Barbie and Ken, the new BET programs seem to be just dipped in chocolate."
- Beretta Smith-Shomade, media arts professor, in her lecture titled, "And for the Girl Backstage, Never Mind Who You Thought I Was. I'm Rick James B***h!"
"I can understand why people would be upset if they are last-minute studiers."
- Misty Ehrman, ecology and evolutionary biology senior, on the Undergraduate Council's recommendation that the passing time between finals be reduced from one hour to a half-hour.
"In black and white, this would be a form of increased tuition."|
– Ben Graff, UA student regent, on the UA consideration of mandatory $1,800 to $2,220 meal plan for incoming firs
-year students living in dorms.
"You fuckin' cops can't just stop me, I know my rights!"
- A female student arrested near Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall after refusing to sign a citation for underage drinking. Police noticed the student was very emotional and had mood swings, reports stated.
"It is wonderful to be here to celebrate the sanctuaries of dissent. Independent media is in a time of war and selections, when we need peace and elections."
- Amy Goodman, radio host for Democracy Now!, opening her speech at Centennial Hall Sunday.
"A lot of things happen at the end of a game. The ball just didn't bounce our way. Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you don't ... I thought we did everything right."
- Mike Stoops, UA head football coach, on UA's 20-19 loss to Washington State Saturday.