Arizona Daily Wildcat
Friday, August 27, 2004
Quotes from this week's news
"It's important to get young women out to vote, because when women vote, Democrats win."
- Juliana Zuccaro, women's studies, political science and creative writing senior and vice president of the UA Network of Feminist Student Activists, on why Elizabeth Edwards' visit was important for female students
"It smells really new."
- Travis Stock, undeclared sophomore, on Pueblo de la Cienega residence hall
I can't wipe the smile off my face.|
- Amanda Beard, retailing and consumer sciences junior, on setting a new Olympic record and taking gold in the 200m breaststroke
"I saw him entering the room and he said, 'I'm really drunk,' then I heard a crash or some kind of moving around and what sounded like throwing up."
- An RA at Apache Santa Cruz Residence Hall reporting to UAPD the condition of an anonymous student who had finished an 18-pack of beer and later urinated in a trash can in the presence of officers while waiting for TFD to transport him to the hospital
"I've seen the movie. The movie's not as funny as the live, staged one we're doing. But is it arrogant of me to say I'm funnier than Carol Burnett?"
- Lesley Abrams, theatre arts instructor and actress in "Noises Off!," which will run Sept. 1-12 at Marroney Theatre on the UA campus
"People who are considered attractive are also considered smart and nice and successful and all sorts of things that shouldn't be related."
- Louise Roth, assistant sociology professor, on a UA study that supported the claim that American women, regardless of background, feel pressure to conform to a "white standard" of beauty
"The students love big-time college football, and we've got a big-time college football coach, and I think they're excited."
- James Francis, director of marketing for the UA department of intercollegiate athletics, on the rising sale of Zona Zoo passes due to the current football buzz